In a previous post SharePoint Developers’ Environment Virtualization I had conducted a quick survey about SharePoint development environment virtualization to get some insights about it, here the survey results.
Click on the image to view larger image
1. What is your virtualization product
VMWare wins with 48.5%
Hyper-V and Virtual PC comes second with 18.2%
2. You use dedicated or shared environment with team?
84.8% of developers use dedicated environment for their development
3. What is the main architecture of your development environment?
Almost 32 bit and 64 bit shares the development environment with 51.5% to 48.5%
4. What is your host Operating System?
Windows Server 2008 R2 wins as host OS with 21.2%
5. What is typically your Guest Operating System?
For guest OS Windows Server 2003 and 2008 share the first place with 24.2% then in second place comes Windows Server 2008 R2
however you can notice the about 30% of Guest OS is desktop Windows (XP, Vista and 7).
Here is my notices
- VMWare wins a virtualization software
- Around 50% uses 64 bit environment
- Around 30% uses desktop Windows as guest OS.
I see these 3 points are natural result of Microsoft lacking a virtualization software supports 64 bit on their desktop Windows, so developers moved to VMWare to develop on 64 bit environment!!!
I would to hear your comments and notices about the survey results.
Thanks to SurveyMonkey.com for hosting my survey.