I was trying to setup up a new virtual machine for SP2010 based on VMWare. I followed the steps as described by Jie Li's on Installation Notice for SharePoint 2010 Public Beta
Just a quick summary:
- Windows 2008 R2
- Dot Net Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- WCF Roll up Fix
- SQL Server Express 2008 SP1
- SQL Server Express 2008 SP1 Cumulative Update 2
- Promote server to domain controller
- Run SharePoint Installation
- Run and install the prerequisites
- Install SharePoint
- Run SharePoint Configuration Wizard
The SharePoint configuration wizard is a 10 step process. In step number 5, the wizard tries to register the various SharePoint services. You get the exception below when it comes to register SharePoint Search service:
An exception of type System.ServiceProcess.TimeOutException was thrown
even when you try to run the SharePoint Search Service you get the following error:
Windows could not start the SharePoint Server Search 14 service on Local Computer. Error 6: The handle is invalid.
Most internet resources will guide to either:
- Redo everything and follow Jie Li’s instructions.
- Delete relevant registry files
I recommend that you try them out as they could work you. Unfortunately they did not.
Inspired from John Rayner's - MOSS: Error "The handle is invalid" when starting Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) Search service, I tried the following:
- While the configuration wizard is running, after it successfully provisions SharePoint Search Service
- Open the services management console (from Run command type services.msc)
- Locate SharePoint Search Service
- Change the logon type to LocalSystem
- Restart the service
- Do the same for SharePoint Foundation Search.
I have also posted my findings on SharePoint 2010 Forums